Congratulations on your paper re: KnowNow

David Kearney David.Kearney@unisa.edu.au
Mon, 15 Apr 2002 15:09:20 +0930

Dear Rohit Khare (and his maill list) and my coauthors,

It was a pleasant surprize to get your email.

For your interest our team here on this topic comprizes a PhD student (Weiquan)
myself as an academic staff member and an honours student (John Paul). The
basic idea for the need for a technology such as know now came from Weiquan who
was the first to coin the term execution segmentation when discussing web based
applications. This is the excessive fragmentation of web pages forced by HTTP.
There is a book chapter soon to become available  which explains these concepts
in more detail together with outrher issues he has identified.[Architectural
Issues of Web-Enabled Electronic Business, edited by Shi Nansi, Idea Group
Publishing, 2002] We saw KnowNow as a way around this problem which we wanted
to incorporate into our new architecture. There are other ways but they are not
so elegant.

Perhaps you could tell me something about your email list participants. Can
Mike tell us who he is?

The last two items on you comments are not something we have really considered
since our work is less commercial that the companies (perhaps to be expected)
But to answer these comments and I think the implication of Miks comment is
that yes we have an architecture that is not necessarily closely dependant on a
single server or evenJ2EE. In fact we now think J2EE is a bit low level in
terms of what we are proposing. We are however strong on the idea that the
current "blue print" approach to designing these complex distributed
applications we call web based applications is disorganized and seems to be a
return to the bad old days of Basic goto code. We think that the MVC is far too
simple to be scalable. There is a definite need for organization to be brought
to the field and we do not think anyone in industry will provide it (Know Now
excepted perhaps :-) ) because everyone in industry is trying to establish turf
through bottom up thinking "If I provide this missing functionality I can
control it". "If I suggest a new architecture I cannot make money out of it
because I cannot control it." This may be where University research comes in.

I would be interested in continuing this discussion but am not sure if all
others are!

Over to you. (If you ever make it to Australia look us up) We travel often but
i have no immediate plans for the US just at the moment but may be in Europe
early september and as its a long way to go I might stop over in the US on the
way home.

David

Dr. David Kearney B.E. (Hons 1) UNSW M.E. (UniSA) PhD (QUT)

Computer and Information Science
University of South Australia
+61 8 83023287 (phone)
+61 8 83023381 (fax)