Congratulations on your paper re: KnowNow

Tue, 16 Apr 2002 08:11:01 -0700

> > * You are indeed correct that there is a bit more to converting a
> > J2EE app "back" into a real MVC app than sprinkling r/t widgets into
> > JSPs. Entire chunks of functionality have to be rewritten into
> > "single-page applications" (a rhetorical flourish I credit to
> > OpenTibet, actually). The analogy I originally proposed was to call
> > our applications ESPs (event server pages) to convey that sense.
> > Another idea bandied about was ACPs (active client pages) to make it
> > clear that the processing burden was on the client side. Dialing the
> > psychic hotline at 1-800-KNOW-NOW clinched it, though...

Introducing Struts (below), the original Java MVC before there was
J2EE that integrates across data sources and presentation technologies.

Incidentally, I wanted to try and find the first instance
of java model view controller on google so I do an advanced
groups search that returns messages posted between 12 May 1981 and
16 April 1996 (I tried to safely pick a year after Java became
popular).  The first thread that comes up is comp.lang.java that
has 7 posts with me essentially having the final word and killing
it off.  8-)

/gab

http://jakarta.apache.org/struts/index.html

Welcome to Struts! The goal of this project is to provide an open source
framework for building Web applications that integrates with standard
technologies like Java Servlets, JavaBeans, and JavaServer Pages (JSP).

Struts encourages application architectures based on the
Model-View-Controller (MVC) design paradigm, colloquially known as
Model 2 in discussions on various Java mailing lists. Struts provides its own
Controller component and integrates with other technologies to provide the
Model and the View. For the Model, Struts can interact with any standard data
access technology, including Enterprise Java Beans, JDBC, and JNDI. For the
View, Struts works well with JavaServer Pages, Velocity Templates, XSLT,
and other presentation systems .

The Struts framework provides the invisible underpinnings every professional
Web application needs to survive. Struts helps you create an extensible
development environment for your application, based on published standards
and proven design patterns.

Struts is part of the Jakarta Project, sponsored by the Apache Software
Foundation. The official Struts home page is at http://jakarta.apache.org/struts.