New bits: Common weedkiller causes extra sex organs in frogs

chris arkenberg carkenbe@adobe.com
Tue, 16 Apr 2002 16:47:28 -0700

And not everything they say is good for you is either. Somehow it's
not surprising that Dow would be supportive of this compound. In fact
most industry studies regard it favorably while the majority of
non-industry studies agree that it can have detrimental affects.
Among these effects are cardiovasular damage, renal damage, some
muscle degeneration, and cancer (this is from the EPA site
http://www.epa.gov/safewater/dwh/c-soc/atrazine.html). However these
results are from exposures greater than normally encountered in
drinking water.

Frogs are generally one of the most sensitive creatures in the
biosphere. Their skin is highly permeable making them a chemical sink
in the environment (similar to fish). They can be a good barometer
for toxic accumulation but are also far more susceptible to such
problems than higher primates.