google-iscious

Grlygrl201@aol.com Grlygrl201@aol.com
Thu, 18 Apr 2002 11:40:28 -0400

In a message dated Wed, 17 Apr 2002  6:58:58 PM Eastern Daylight Time, "Lindsey Smith" <lsmith@thinkstream.com> writes:

>> http://news.com.com/2100-1023-884546.html?tag=dd.ne.dht.nl-sty.0
>>
>> "They could open themselves to that kind of notification and verification
>so they would provide up-to-the-minute search capability," said Winer, who
>predicts that one day Google or another search provider will offer a service
>for the home computer.
>>

>> Yesh, it's called Magi and it works with
>> AltaVista [1], Inktomi, and will work with Google anon - as
>> soon as Nelson finishes the Web APL.
>
>Except that Google, AV, et al aren't up-to-the-minute sources.
>Up-to-the-previous-month-or-so maybe.
>
>For example, Google last spidered Evhead (a popular, very highly linked-to
>blog) around on March 11. Of course that's just one example. On the other
>hand, Google reports that they last spidered cnn.com/index.html yesterday.
>
>The point is that Google notification won't be terribly useful until it can
>either spider the rapidly changing hunks of the Internet (blogs or forums
>for example) in a drastically more timely fashion or creates a way for those
>rapid content creators to push updates up to the mothership. Both are tough
>nuts to crack at Google's scale.
>
>http://216.239.33.100/search?q=cache:xmEiJ8hBIIEC:www.evhead.com/+site:evhea
>d.com+blog&hl=en&lr=lang_en
>
>Lindsey

Lindsey, Lindsey, Lindsey.

Wouldn't you like to buy a component from Google (AV, Inktomi) that
plugs right into your existing Web server as a module
or servlet that watches your existing content, spiders and
indexes it using the exact same filters as Google (AV, Inktomi)
uses and push your pre-indexed information up to them
in their cache format?  It's called decentralized crawling
and indexing and you completely missed my point.

Tell me why Google has to spider & index the stuff when you can
spider & index your own stuff far faster than they can with a
much cheaper resource writing it back using the Google API.
You must have missed my original comment which said, "Yesh, it's
called Magi and it works with AltaVista, Inktomi, and will
work with Google anon - as soon as Nelson finishes his API."
It means that it already exists and already overcomes the problems
you describe.  Don't ask me, as them.

On another note, Mr. Evan Williams will be velly happy that his little
Pyra Labs blog will get updates everytime someone posts about a party
in Texas or some media company announces an IPO even though
they're losing money hand over fist.  Are you sure you didn't
just post this to advertise your blog?

Geege