Why you get spam

Gary Lawrence Murphy garym@canada.com
21 Apr 2002 09:21:24 -0400

The Mercury News (via silicon.com) is running a series of articles on
spam this weekend, of which there are few surprises except the
confirmation that, whatever we may do, however we may hate it, the sad
truth is, spam is highly profitable.

For example, you might shoot down the numbered yahoo account offering
porn site subscriptions, but at $50/subscriber, a 0.01% hit rate could
net thousands of dollars for a few minutes work; the instigator
doesn't need a very high percent to make it worth their while, and as
anonymous affiliates, they insulate the real source of the spam from
any reprisals.

The cajun Spam King speaks:
    http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/3107708.htm

Big companies bankrolling spam:
    http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/3107709.htm

Decent backgrounder on what spam is and how it works:
    http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/3108519.htm