Shock result of French presidential election

Robert Harley harley@argote.ch
Sun, 21 Apr 2002 23:10:49 +0200 (CEST)

I suppose there are a number of explanations...  The first round is
traditionally time for voting all over the map, all the more so this
time around because the mainstream candidates are particularly crap
and boring, especially Jospin, and Chirac is caught up in lots of
scandals.  The extreme left did well too (welcome to France!) but are
divided whereas the extreme right is united behind Le Pen.  I personally
thought/hoped that Le Pen's former right-hand man, Bruno Mégret, would
divide the extreme right but I guess I was wrong.  There is a lot of
insecurity these days in poor urban neighbourhoods which is often
blamed on immigrants and the current post-Sep11 climate only adds to
some voter's fear of immigrants, especially of the Muslim variety,
that Le Pen is always railing against.

Oh well.  Get out there and vote for the moderate candidates, methinks.