Why you get spam

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Sun, 21 Apr 2002 18:06:29 -0700

Karl Anderson wrote:

> People like to trash talking about spam, but I think it's an
> interesting topic.  The unintended social and economic consequences of
> technology is interesting, of course, and I like hearing the stupid
> or counterproductive ideas that people come up with to try and combat
> spam (um, that isn't a comment on this thread).

I'm curious about the long-term effect on social mores. I mean as soon
as someone starts posting to public lists (i.e. when they are fifteen or
sixteen) they start getting assaulted with offers to let them watch all
sorts of, er, sexual irregularity. I kind of think it is interesting to
think that a generation will grow up that will not be shocked by
anything.

Well, they may still be disturbed by that goatse.cx picture. Yikes!

 Paul Prescod