*groan*

Russell Turpin deafbox@hotmail.com
Mon, 22 Apr 2002 22:29:05 +0000

Udhay Shankar N wrote:
>And I find it interesting that to USAnians, "Asian" apparently does not
>include "Indian".

It also fails to include Russians, even though most
of Russia is east of the Urals. It also excludes
people from all the "stans." Oh? You say the "stans"
are in the Middle East, not Asia? Well, then, when
was the Middle East promoted to continent status?

The explanation, of course, is that the continents
are not necessarily a good way to talk about
geopolitical regions. So we talk about the Middle
East, and Asia, and southeast Asia, and India is
diverse enough that it constitutes its own
geopolitical region.