Shock result of French presidential election

chris arkenberg carkenbe@adobe.com
Mon, 22 Apr 2002 16:56:04 -0700

Yikes. Sounds like the protest turned violent when the riot police showed up.

In my experience, peaceful protests usually remain peaceful unless
acted upon by an opposing force (maybe there's some sort of Newtonian
principle here...). As soon as the riot cops show up the mood in the
air becomes much more charged with the potential for conflict. More
often than not someone - cop or protester - will snap and the whole
thing just explodes. Of course the press usually has a way of blaming
it on the protesters...