Fwd: Google.com searching tips! (fwd)

carey carey@tstonramp.com
Mon, 22 Apr 2002 23:23:19 -0700

Sweet delicious bitfun.  I didn't manage to see www.researchbuzz.com
on the fork links. IT really should be there.  Another forker ( A
SILLY LURKER) managed to throw this in my email bin, and I just came
acrost it now while I was setting up filters  (YAY for filters)

But researchbuzz.com is glory.  FUcking bitful, beautiful glory.  The
below links specifically deal with aNOTHER sexy little tool --Google
does phonebook searches!  And you can enter the syntax to make it so.

Hells yes.  Proving once again, Google is the bestest, Lurking is bad
for bit spread, and fucking new bits just rock my proverbial cock.

Bedtime for the Bitbitch.

http://www.researchbuzz.com/news/2002/feb28mar602.html#regaubry

http://www.researchbuzz.com/news/2002/feb28mar602.html#moregoogle

---

http://www.researchbuzz.com/news/2002/feb28mar602.html#regaubry

02/28/2002

Reg Aubry Discovers Undocumented Google Syntax

Normally I identify readers only by their initials but Reg Aubry wanted
full credit for bringing to my attention the phonebook: syntax. So I bow
to Mr. Aubry (no relation, I presume, to either the Flying Aubrys or Reg
Shoe, zombie constable of Terry Pratchett's Discworld series) for  letting
me know about this cool feature.

The phone number feature, as you may already know, allows you to enter a
phone number or name and get phone book lookups in your Google search
results. For example,

smith, boston ma

Finds people and businesses named Smith in Boston, Massachusetts.

starbucks, boston ma

Finds Starbucks in Boston.

Now, when you search the phone book like that you'll only get two results
at the top of the page, with the rest of the results being Web
listings. You can search only the phonebook by using the "More phonebook
listings" link, but why bother? Instead, you can go directly into a
phonebook search on Google by using the phonebook: syntax. For example:

phonebook:starbucks, boston

will get you a listing of the two dozen odd Starbucks in Boston, all on
one page. Information listed includes business name, phone number,
address, and links to two map generators for that location.

Let me give you an example of a phone book search that doesn't appear to
work except when using the phonebook: syntax. If you search Google for --
smith, springfield -- you will not get any phone numbers. But if you
search for -- phonebook:smith, springfield -- you will get two sets of
results. The top set is business results: 5 out of 134. The bottom set is
residential results: 5 out of 600. Phone numbers listed on the front page
are from both Massachusetts and Missouri.

---

http://www.researchbuzz.com/news/2002/feb28mar602.html#moregoogle

03/05/2002

More Google Phonebook Fun

Reader EB points out that the Google phonebook: syntax can be altered
slightly depending on the kind of results you want. rphonebook: finds
residential listings, while bphonebook: finds business listings. Run the
search rphonebook:sears ma and then the search bphonebook:sears ma and
you'll see what I mean. Thanks EB!

---

Lastly, a Microsoft specific version of google.com

http://www.google.com/microsoft.html

should have been more consistent with

http://www.google.com/bsd

&&