Bill Gates' testimony...

carey carey@tstonramp.com
Tue, 23 Apr 2002 11:54:41 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Hall" <johnhall@evergo.net>
To: "FoRK" <fork@xent.com>
Sent: Tuesday, April 23, 2002 11:36 AM
Subject: RE: Bill Gates' testimony...

> I don't think it requires hallucinogenic drugs to believe that:
> 1) Infinite platform combinations yield incompatible and unreliable
> applications.

Infinite isn't likely.  a base windows system (say sans IE and the Office
Suite) seems pretty much to be what most people might argue for.

Here's the funny part of the quote that makes me laugh:

"Instead of being able to buy a machine with
Windows and knowing that all your applications would run, you wouldn't have
that assurance."

We don't have it anyway.  I don't know how many times Windows fucks up,
doesn't work, or ceases to do what I've been 'assured' it can do.

> 2) The effort to deal with that incompatibility will result in less
> application software.

possibly in the short run.  Something tells me that neither the states, nor
Mr. Gates will let it get to the point where we have variant strains of
windows floating around in the world, but rather a few uniform 'options'.
So while your second point may be valid temporarily, it will only be valid
temporarily.  Look at all the various OSes we have to work with on a day to
day basis... magically enough John, innovation doesn't cease.  Coders still
code, and the miraculous world of comptuers continues to go forward.

> 3) Loss of intellectual rights to a product mean you no longer have an
> incentive to work on it.

I'm not exactly clear how you gather the states mandating that an OS needs
to allow other options to be present, necessarily goes to Microsoft losing
all control over their product, intellectually or otherwise.  If the States
were mandating that Microsoft relinquish the right to create OSes , I might
agree with you.  But they're not.

And you don't think it especially takes massive drug use for Bill Gates to
sit on the stand and declare that the state of computing will suffer
irrepairable harm and stagnation if the states succeed?

I'm sorry.  Microsoft has a lot of power.  BUt I don't think
Dell/HP-Compaq/IBM are all going to up and fold and quit the game.  There is
still innovation.  Microsoft, or no, we aren't going to be going backwards
anytime soon.  THat's why he's hallucinating.