Mail Statistics

R. A. Hettinga rah@shipwright.com
Tue, 23 Apr 2002 19:25:48 -0400

At 10:47 PM -0700 on 4/22/02, Adam L. Beberg wrote:

> Anyone who gets this much can easily setup their own filters, it's not
> exactly hard, even for those poor unfortunate folks without procmail.

Right. Currently, in Eudora (the OS X beta version aliased to my old 0S 9
Eudora folder for the time being), I have:

-- around 250 nicknames I've accumulated over the years (including one for
every monthly dcsb meeting since September 1995, so I'm cheating, a little
:-)), plus another 90 or so in the history list, which I periodically blow
away because the command-comma completion list gets too big.

-- 750 mail boxes, including strictly-inboxes (150) a separate mailbox
(270) for each list I'm subscribed to (or not anymore :-)) admin messages
from list owners, welcome message, address changes, and so on, and periodic
rollovers of my top-level mailboxes into a dated correspondence archive
because the mailbox/transfer menus get too damn long to deal with, or the
out and/or inboxes get too big to mess with.

-- 160 filters with about a 20% dinosaur ratio on them. In addition to the
usual people in my kill file who (apparently) don't post where they bother
me anymore, I had so many problems with DNS and host failures at the
beginning of the year that I was probably force-unsubscribed from a bunch
of lists for all that mail that bounced. :-). Someday I'll go back in and
see whether I want to go back, I guess.

-- 5 personalities, including that of someone who used to work with me on IBUC.

and,

-- 40 signatures, from Tacitus, to Chopin, to Hayek to Patrick O'Brien,
(and Tim May and Adam Shostack and, of course, Vinnie Moscaritolo) of which
I use the one below almost exclusively.

Whew.

Cheers,
RAH