munchkinesque:[consume-routing] New mobile mesh released under GPL (fwd)

Adam L. Beberg beberg@mithral.com
Tue, 23 Apr 2002 21:02:24 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 23 Apr 2002, Eugen Leitl wrote:

> I'm worried about releasing the source with the protocol only half
> defined, but it appears that people are unwilling to help projects
> outside of the GPL. I can understand this, as no-one knows that my
> intentions are really pure.

Boy is this guy in for a surprise, obviously his first trip into open
source land, but he's half right - they are unwiling to help.

If you release something unfinished, people will only use it as a base
for their own creations. Like Gnutella, very rapid embrace and extend after
the initial "leak". This guy just fork() bombed his own project.

People are unwilling to help projects they can't either gain fame for, or
where others won't see their contribution directly (there is feature adding,
but I dont count this bug-adding as "helping"). GNU is irrelivant as the BSD
community proves, but GNU keeps the commercial users away as an added
benefit(?). Users will NOT help with the grunt work, only highly visible
enhancements. So new stuff only, never the documentation, testing, support,
or debugging which account for 95%++ of the work of making something useful.
For that 95% you have to do it yourself or pay someone else to do it, open
source folks will be no help at all. This is why all but a few open source
projects have ended in frustration, they just dont have enough of this
high-glory work for people to help with.

- Adam L. "Duncan" Beberg
  http://www.mithral.com/~beberg/
  beberg@mithral.com