Shock result of French presidential election

Kragen Sitaker kragen@pobox.com
Wed, 24 Apr 2002 06:00:49 -0400 (EDT)

Robert Harley wrote:
> Yeah.  I was just in a protest about two hours ago.  A couple of
> thousand people converged on Place de la Bastille, most of them coming
> from the South-East, chanting anti-fascist slogans and waving banners.

I'm a little bit puzzled about these protests.  What were you
protesting?

Were you protesting against the 17% of your countrymen and women (or,
in your individual case, adopted countrymen and women) who voted for
the guy?  If so, by protesting, are you hoping to persuade said
countrymen that they should become more liberal in the future,
persuade them to leave the country, or what?

Do you think the vote was somehow rigged, ballot boxes getting stuffed
or dumped or something?

Are you protesting against the voting system?  Do you want to switch
to some variant of STV or approval voting for the president instead?

Thanks for the tips, by the way.  I'll make sure to bring a respirator
and practice my running skills before I participate in any French
protests.

Death seems to both sober and brighten people.  --- Marissa Mika