Three Women Pregnant With Cloned Babies

Gordon Mohr gojomo@usa.net
Wed, 24 Apr 2002 18:11:37 -0500

Lindsey Smith writes:
> > I wonder what people who are adamently against both cloning and
> > abortion would argue should be done with these pregnancies.
>
> I think they'd say that human cloning shouldn't have been attempted in the
> first place and hope the kids turn out all right. Why do you think someone
> against abortion would suddenly want a cloned fetus aborted? Repeat your
> statement with "rape" or "single motherhood" substituted for "cloning".

I did not say I expected any particular response, but there
is a potential tension.

I know that some people against abortion make exceptions for
cases where the pregnancy resulted from rape or incest. Apparently,
these offspring (or the circumstances of their conception) are
considered so abominable that abortion is allowable.

I would not be surprised to see some (but not all or most)
abortion opponents making the same allowance for cloned
fetuses, especially if they believe such clones are in
some way unnatural or exist in contravention to the will
of god.

Similarly, the rhetoric of some anti-cloning agitators is
sufficiently heated and righteous that I could imagine (but
have not yet heard) an exhortation that "we must let no human
clone be born!" -- even if these same activists were typically
against abortion.

It's an incredibly interesting thorny issue, and in that way,
reminds me of the Elian Gonzales case. There, it was: Which
traditional value trumps the other, parental rights and the
immediate family, or escape from a repressive regime?

Of course, had cloning been available then, both the U.S.
and Cuba could have each kept an Elian. :)

- Gordon