Le Pen ...

Jim Whitehead ejw@cse.ucsc.edu
Thu, 25 Apr 2002 10:24:23 -0700

> The US will not initiate an attack on North Korea this year.  We'll have
> our hands full invading Iraq and occupying the oil fields when the SA
> government falls after Iraq falls.

It seems to me that just about the only thing that could get Iraq and Iran
to work together is an attack on either by the US. I imagine resistance
inside Iraq would be much greater if people felt they were defending their
homes, as opposed to just defending a looted Kuwait. Plus, they have been
studying the last war for over ten years.

Having Iran and Iraq at each other's throats is a cornerstone of stability
in the Middle East. Working together, they could achieve great mischief.
It's very conceivable that, working together, they could seize Saudi Arabia,
Kuwair, and Qatar, and thus have a controlling block in oil.

Faced with this, the US might actually have to ask for some sacrifices of
its population to fight a war, in the form of conscription, higher taxes,
and inflation. How strong is our backbone? I don't know.

- Jim