US backbone and the middle east

Luis Villa louie@ximian.com
25 Apr 2002 16:56:44 -0400

On Thu, 2002-04-25 at 16:46, Robert Harley wrote:
> Luis Villa quoted:
> >What is more, no equivalent concentration of power to a US carrier
> >task force exists in the world; the few UK, French and Indian
> >carriers are minuscule by comparison, the Russian ones rusting away.
>
> Actually, as is quite well known, there is one aircraft carrier
> roughly comparable to the US's Nimitz class: France's Charles de
> Gaulle.  It is alone with the US's big carriers in combining nuclear
> propulsion, modern equipment, size and runway length for dozens of
> conventional warplanes, several years autonomy etc, even if it is half
> the size.

(1) perhaps quite well known in france :)
(2) the description is not just of the carrier, but of the entire
carrier battle group; I have no idea of the capabilities of what is
referred to on the web as 'The French Carrier Group' (since there is
only one) but I'd appreciate any links; I'm curious. All I can find
describes the carrier and none are in any way comparative with the
nimitz class. Jane's says 'pay us and we'll tell you.' [Aside: working
for Janes must be interesting, if nothing else.]

Luis

Luis