French Carrier

Owen Byrne owen@permafrost.net
Fri, 26 Apr 2002 18:12:29 -0300

In the never ending cycle of defensive weapons vs. offensive weapons,
Napoleon was the high point of the offensive  cycle (perhaps slightly past
its prime) that ended with rifled weapons and machine guns. Napoleon's
overwhelming use of force is the direct precursor of blitzkrieg.

He was an innovator and a key contributor to modern warfare, for better or
worse.

Plus winning a war is like marriage - its great but its too peaceful for too
damn long. Napoleon was masterful in a losing effort with very limited
resources in 1813 and 1814.

Owen