French Carrier

Robert Harley harley@argote.ch
Sat, 27 Apr 2002 00:13:19 +0200 (CEST)

Luis wrote:
>Unless perspective is seriously screwy in that shot, that's probably not
>a Nimitz class; the Nimitz class is about 317M long and the De Gaulle
>only 238M, a difference of nearly 25% when those two look very similarly
>sized.

Perspective is funny like that.  It is indeed the USS Enterprise, as
confirmed by these other pages:

  http://personal.bgsu.edu/~mccoy/enterprise/ent-degaulle.html
  http://www.netmarine.net/bat/porteavi/cdg/photo53.htm

and it is indeed 317 metres long, same as a Nimitz (dunno where I got
the 332 before...)  The CDG measures 261.5 metres, according to its
constructor:

  http://www.dcnintl.com/fiches/fich07b.htm

The pictures were apparently taken during the Trident d'Or exercise in
the Mediterranean last May during which Hawkeyes took off from one
carrier and landed on the other.

Bye,
  Rob.