A Brave and Modest Nation

Gordon Mohr gojomo@usa.net
Fri, 26 Apr 2002 22:19:52 -0500

I recognize *why* you're forwarding Canadian patriotic propaganda --
such "misty-eyed" apologetics/rationalizations are typical reactions
to tragedy, and every friendly-fire incident or other military casualty
is certainly a tragedy. Every other country engages in the same sort
mournful pride.

But if you're going to sing those provincial paeans on a world stage,
you'd best be ready to be confronted with a global sense of proportion.

That your flag-wavers take so much pride in a tally of UN peacekeeping
assignments, and then further that other flag-wavers actually find the
exact tally and rankings a worthwhile subject of careful scrutiny, is
quaint to the point of being humorous.

And while I'm sure the Charles de Gaulle and the HMCS Bonaventure will
be valuable answers to trivia questions someday, discussing their
particulars at length only underscores the giant gap between the US
military and everyone else.

Giant gaps in capabilities, and giant gaps in peoples' perspectives about
what's impressive, are funny. An example that comes to mind is that scene
in 'Raiders of the Lost Ark', where an intimidating swordsman with a
giant blade and flourishing technique is rapidly and casually dispatched
by Indy and his pistol.

- Gordon