A Brave and Modest Nation

Bill Kearney wkearney99@hotmail.com
Sat, 27 Apr 2002 09:58:25 -0400

While all this war-mongering is certainly entertaining, has it yet run it's
course on FoRK?  There are plenty of war-blogging sites that flog this
endlessly....

> As I see it, the French at least resisted the oppressor in WWII.

Somehow the word "Vichy" jumps out at me here....  I can't seem the find the
right dictionary that contains a definition of "collaborate" that has anything
to do with of resistance.

What's the old saying about the French "...fight with their feet..."?
http://www.nationallampoon.com/flashbacks/foreigners/foreigners8.html

The French memory of things always seems rather different from reality.

Fortunately the US always keeps bailing them out when they get themselves in a
jam.  Say what you want now but I suspect seeing McDonald's Golden Arches in
Paris is a lot less worse than the swastika.  So, "You're welcome" even when
it's so hard to say "Thank you."