A Brave and Modest Nation

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Sun, 28 Apr 2002 08:23:07 -0700

Gordon Mohr wrote:

> But if you're going to sing those provincial paeans on a world stage,
> you'd best be ready to be confronted with a global sense of proportion.

I think you're missing the point that proportion is precisely what Owen
is suggesting. Considering the nation's size, Canada's historical
sacrifices in the defense of other people's countries are wildly out of
proportion. Proportionate to country size (to say nothing of military
size) Canada has already lost more people than America has in
Afghanistan (to say nothing of previous wars). As you'll recall, America
was attacked, not Canada. And although the war is sold to us as
"protecting the free world", I have a hard time believing that Al Queada
really has ambitions to try and blow up the CN Tower.

If pride in sacrifice is typically Canadian then I guess it is typically
American to be uncharitable or at best nonchalant about the
contributions of others. That will be a profoundly counterproductive
position over the long run but one has a sense that many Americans
really can't help themselves.

 Paul Prescod