A Brave and Modest Nation

Russell Turpin deafbox@hotmail.com
Sun, 28 Apr 2002 17:15:19 +0000

On Sun, 28 Apr 2002, Paul Prescod wrote:
>>If pride in sacrifice is typically Canadian then I guess it is typically
>>American to be uncharitable or at best nonchalant about the contributions
>>of others.

Tom Whore:
>"no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
>He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country"

Tom, it's pretty dumb or callous to trot out that
quote, given the fact that the last four Canadians
to die for the US did so under friendly fire from
us. I doubt this is the tactical policy that Patton
was explaining.

>Numbers of dead do not a good military power make, nor does waving the flag
>of pride over how many citiznes are killed in your name.

These Canadians weren't killed in Canada's name. They
were helping fight OUR battle. Canada isn't doing
this to make itself a military power. It is doing
this out of its loyalty to the US, as an ally. You
may not feel we owe Canada any gratitude for standing
by us, or any apology for friendly fire that kills
its citizens. I think we owe both.