Fw: US war, libertarianism, FoRK, and voices in opposition

carey carey@tstonramp.com
Mon, 29 Apr 2002 09:58:47 -0700

D'oh. This was intended as a forked post.  > > Well, I don't smoke anything.
The idea that government should control
> > vice has a pedigree that predates both Mormanism and Christianity.

 Yea. It goes back to strange other religious edict.    (I will scream, that
i'm nto a history major, but I'd be willing to bet good money that vice +
 government control thereof is religiously motivated).

> > Indeed, it is an enduring philosophical idea that a republic depends
> > ultimately on the morality of its citizens, and that the state has a
> > proper role in shaping that morality.
> >
> > I like the rules just loose enough so I can enjoy my vices in private.

 While that argument is fine, its hard to say that the religious vice-squad
 of Utah is merely an implicit nod, as Russell was saying, of church
 practice.   Why is it only an issue in Utah for instance, and not
 nationally?   While the government might control vice fore purely secular
 reasons (say those rules goign after pornography in the purview of minors),
 the mormon alcohol example is not such a case.

 This is every bit as much religiously based as it is secularly promoted.

 And honestly John, i'm rather frightened of what you might consider a
 'vice'.   Something tells me it has somethign to do with 'thinking dirty
 thoughts'...