US war, libertarianism, FoRK, and voices in opposition

John Hall johnhall@evergo.net
Mon, 29 Apr 2002 10:14:40 -0700

A Prince should only break his word when it is to his great advantage.
For this to be effective he needs a reputation for great probity.

Breaking our word and commitment to Israel would not be to our great
advantage.  The likely results are little short of catastrophic.

The Arabs don't hate us because of Israel.  They hate us because

1) They have reason to hate the British and they see America as the
British Empire under new management and with a new street address.
2) Their societies are utter failures compared to people who were always
supposed to be the barbarians.
3) Our existence is an affront to their view of how the world should be
(Islamic).

Retreat doesn't get you brownie points in the mideast.  You get brownie
points by using the guts of your enemies to grease the treads on your
tanks.

I refer you to the (non) reaction of the Arab world to Huma, Syria.

Bernard Lewis
http://www.opinionjournal.com/editorial/feature.html?id=105001985

As for your carping about the religious nature of Israel, I find it a
little like a preacher who wouldn't defend a woman from gang rape
because he had it on good authority that she smoked in private.