US war, libertarianism, FoRK, and voices in opposition

Russell Turpin deafbox@hotmail.com
Mon, 29 Apr 2002 18:01:51 +0000

John Hall:
>Breaking our word and commitment to Israel would not be to our great
>advantage.

Just where and when did we promise Israel a continual
spigot on our dollars?!

>The likely results are little short of catastrophic.

You were just explaining that Israel is a modern,
wealthy nation. How, then, would it be so catastrophic
if they had to fund themselves? All US aide to Israel
amounts to 5% of their GDP. Let them raise their income
tax by 5% and tighten their belts.

>The Arabs don't hate us because of Israel.  They hate us because
>
>1) They have reason to hate the British and they see America as the British
>Empire under new
>management and with a new street address.
>2) Their societies are utter failures compared to people who were always
>supposed to be the barbarians.
>3) Our existence is an affront to their view of how the world should be
>(Islamic).

It would then be to our advantage if we could make
those things the issue, without allowing our support
for Israel to distract from them.

>Retreat doesn't get you brownie points in the mideast.

I'm not suggesting retreat. I'm happy to make
Afghanistan a US protectorate for the next twenty years.
I'm suggesting we act for our OWN interests, and stop
playing underwriter and international fall-guy for
Israel.