A Brave and Modest Nation

Chuck Murcko chuck@topsail.org
Mon, 29 Apr 2002 15:11:56 -0400

Normandy was a highly political as well as military exercise. Everyone
including the nations-in-exile, the Dutch, the Poles, the French, the
Canadians, etc. got a part.

The Allies ran *5* major naval invasions in the Mediterranean alone in
WW II, and the Americans ran many more in the Pacific. We were going to
invade Japan ourselves. Remember the 1/2 million casualty estimates for
that invasion force? Let's have a bit of proportion to all this invasion
participation stats talk.

I think the US thanks the Canadians all the time. What does the RCAF fly
for air defense today? I bet they weren't bought at the then-current
exchange rate.

Chuck