Recommended: Spacestation 3D

Jim Whitehead ejw@cse.ucsc.edu
Mon, 29 Apr 2002 12:53:27 -0700

Friday night Rohit brought me to see SpaceStation 3D, a new 3D IMAX movie
about the construction of the International Space Station. If you're into
the space program, this is a must-see movie.

http://www.imax.com/spacestation/

Scenes include:
- space walks to construct the station
- footage from Baikonur and Kennedy for the launch of successive missions to
the ISS (the contrast is stark)
  * footage from the launch pad
  * footage from inside the shuttle right after launch
- lots of footage from inside the space station

Of course, since it's in IMAX, the 70mm format allows you to see *lots* of
detail, in awesome scale on the big screen. Rohit and I kept busy looking
left and right to read all of the labels, clipboards, etc. attached to every
surface. Rohit had fun pointing out all the rolls of ductape he saw on the
ISS. :-) The movie was awesome, definitely worth seeing. It left me wanting
to see it again (and I *never* say that).

If you can't afford the $20million to get into space physically, this movie
is the next best thing to being there. I just don't understand why it hasn't
received more press, since it just stunning.

In the Bay Area, currently playing at the Metreon, and at the Tech Museum of
Innovation.

- Jim