More economics from the trenches

Adam L. Beberg beberg@mithral.com
Mon, 29 Apr 2002 23:04:39 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 29 Apr 2002, Joseph S. Barrera III wrote:

> Adam L. Beberg wrote:
> > The Paychex CEO was on CNBC today, this is the company that actually prints
> > the paychecks for 375,000 companies. So you could say they know exactly how
> > many people are working and how much they are making for a significant chunk
>
> I've almost always had direct deposit. Until recently I would get a
> printed paycheck-oid object that told me how much was deposited.
> A few months ago our company switched payroll systems and now I have to
> look online to see what (or if) I got paid. If other companies have
> been following suit (to cut costs) then there will be a drop in
> the number of paycheck things printed per employed person.

They still handle the money flow, either way. They dont always "print" a
check (if that's all they did it wouldn't even be a business) It's all the
accounting and processing and .gov interactions that they do that matters.
So they still see exactly what's going on, people are getting laid off is
what the was saying.

- Adam L. "Duncan" Beberg
  http://www.mithral.com/~beberg/
  beberg@mithral.com