More economics from the trenches

Chris Olds colds@dydax.com
Tue, 30 Apr 2002 08:22:21 -0400 (EDT)

Actually nurses used to be covered by H1A (which has apparently
expired[1]), and are now covered by H1C, which is limited to 500/year and
no more than 25 or 50 per state, depending on population. Furthermore,
there are currently only 14 hospitals certified to hire H1C nurses.  On
the other hand, there is apparently a "streamlined process to file for
permanent residency" for nurses, and on the gripping hand, HR 2705 [2]
wants to expand the 500/year limit to 195,000/yr (and remove the other
limits as well, obviously).

	/cco

[1] http://www.y-axis.com/healthcare/Immigration/h1cvisa.shtml
[2]http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=107_cong_bills&docid=f:h2705ih.txt.pdf