More economics from the trenches

Adam L. Beberg beberg@mithral.com
Tue, 30 Apr 2002 08:18:31 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 30 Apr 2002, Owen Byrne wrote:

> Sorry mixing LPNs with Nurse Practitioners. At this point in my life I
> really wish I had employment in a traditionally female field of labor.
> Everyone is overworked and underpaid.  The husband of that nurse I
> mentioned - he makes minimum wage. I can name ten other couples where
> the wife is on the fast track, and the (often more qualified) husband is
> underemployed. The traditionally underworked/overpaid male occupations
> have all disappeared.

Yup, we all know many people in this situation I'm sure. But then
traditional male jobs are in manufacturing, and female ones are in service.
All the manufacturing jobs since WWII have been moving to the 3rd world.
Leaving us with service and tech, and tech is very rapidly being deported as
quickly as the multinationals can adapt to the language barriers by
teaching people english or just H1B'ing them outright.

- Adam L. "Duncan" Beberg
  http://www.mithral.com/~beberg/
  beberg@mithral.com