Peace Through Trade, Redux: Medieval Iceland and the Absence of Government

Gareth Olds satans_lexicon@hotmail.com
Fri, 27 Dec 2002 12:09:30 -0900

>The main reason the Vikings moved from Norway to Iceland in the first
> >place
>was to avoid the feudal relationship between the king and his lords and
>serfs and thus the Icelandic settlers developed a decentralized system >of
>governance.

  I thought that a main reason for the colonisation of Iceland was that
Vikings were (for the most part) pursuing northern Pictish who had since
fled Orkey, the Faroes, etc.  However, as we see in Australia and N.
America, the type of people that originally colonise a land is not
necessarily and indicator of what the society becomes (certainly, we are not
all criminals or religious purists).

  Time to crack open the Magnus Magnusson books again!

         - Sir Gareth

MSN 8 with e-mail virus protection service: 3 months FREE*.
http://join.msn.com/?page=features/virus&xAPID=42&PS=47575&PI=7324&DI=7474&SU=
http://www.hotmail.msn.com/cgi-bin/getmsg&HL=1216hotmailtaglines_eliminateviruses_3mf