Indoor location standards: network or scale effects?

Vinod Kulkarni vinod@persistent.co.in
Tue, 05 Feb 2002 12:15:30 +0530

Handhelds seem to be major benefitiary of internal location standards.
They can get the right data to be managed automatically based on where
you are. (And internal location standards are in essense achieved by
assigning some sort of object IDs - by mapping locations to
object-oriented view of our premises.)

For example, if you are entering a conference hall meeting, your
handheld can automatically bring up the conference-related things. You
save on not having to navigate into the information.

Similarly, when devices become intelligent, we can use a handheld to
point at them and control them. We would rather like to see the UI of
the device just by pointing the handheld at them. (i.e. navigating from
a menu to reach the right UI doesn't seem correct.)

What is happening here? We have variety of information at our disposal.
However, the navigational overheads will increase with the information
load. So let locations define appropriate contexts, and let the handheld
sense the context automatically and give us the right UI.

One of the use case that I desire: On my desk, I put 'post-it' notes for
different contexts. These post-it notes are special; they can be
individually sensed by Palm using IR or whatever. So when I point and
click at a specific note meant for, say, 'Visitng Bay Area', then my
Palm, as well as my PC will completely change the UI, and only make
relevant data visible. For example, my mailbox will only have a view of
mails related to this specific context, the contacts list will be
limited to only those people that I am likely to meet.

(Automatically identifying context from information is, of course, a
very difficult proposition.)

-Vinod