The impact of open source, grids, and advanced networks

Chuck Murcko chuck@topsail.org
Mon, 11 Feb 2002 02:58:32 -0500

On Sunday, February 10, 2002, at 02:14 PM, Gary Lawrence Murphy wrote:

>     C> I believe the copyleft has also never been to court. So it's
>     C> really a philosophy until then, no?
>
> Well, it has been to many out-of-court settlements, so if it is just
> a philosophy, it is pursuasive enough to convince corporate lawyers
> that it is not worth challenging ;)
>
>     C> There's also a sizeable community of non-copyleft software. I
>     C> think it managed to cope with its naivety on its own.
>
> But here again, only because it hasn't been challenged, and where it
> has (like Katz vs SEA) it lost.

So do you think groups like the *BSD OSs, ASF, and others have not in
fact overcome the same sorts of challenges? There are an awful lot of
licenses in the open software world:

http://www.opensource.org/licenses/index.html

and a number of those listed are not really open. But there certainly
seems to be a functioning world outside copyleft despite these bad
apples. 8^)

> We need to keep in mind that, until very recently, no one really cared
> what our industry did.  Hell, we used to allow open "talk" access to
> any other node on the internet and let you use finger to set it up!
> Everything was fine when the "eWorld" was just people like us, and I
> still remember the day I first got burned buying a modem off usenet.
>
> The world is a different place now, for us at least.  As said many
> times during the early 90's, once the covered wagons move in, next
> thing you know you gots their priests, then their lawyers, then their
> civic privy councils.  Ain't no place for a pioneer.

Heh. things are different now in some ways, just the same in others.

People adapt, move on to other interests, or do both, I imagine. My toys
of years ago are my tools now and vice versa. 8^)

Chuck