CopyRight, CopyLeft and Public Domain.....the CopyrightfightGame

Chris Olds colds@dydax.com
Tue, 12 Feb 2002 14:20:07 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 12 Feb 2002 ThosStew@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 2/12/2002 9:51:36 AM, webtagz@yahoo.com writes:
>
> >Did all the books that people have cited as examples start off being released
> >in the public domain?
>
> basically yes, since there was no such thing as copyright for many of
> them--not sure when copyright really comes into being. Mein Kampf was
> copyrighted, I think., Dickens ditto--he's gone into the public domain.
> Shakespeare of course charged admission--the polays were published after his
> death, in bootleg editions.

Dickens was and wasn't copyright - he had a copyright in England, but at
the time the US did not recognize English copyright.  The result was that
Dickens was being printed in the US as soon as a copy of a new book could
be brought over on a boat and set in type, but he wasn't getting paid.

The solution?  Serialize his novels (in both the US and England, I think,
but in the US for certain), and get paid for the serialization rights.
Since this also published the work in the US, it may also have secured
copyright as well.

Stephen King isn't the first guy to get paid by the chapter...

	/cco