Let them eat IT, was [Re: Fear and Futility at CodeCon]

Russell Turpin deafbox@hotmail.com
Tue, 19 Feb 2002 21:51:20 +0000

Gary Murphy:
>Sadly, in my travels I did find more than one modern instance of where a
>local island villager did indeed step forward, to tell his colonial
>masters, who then trucked the idea back to the states, brought it to
>market, and claimed a patent on it. Internet makes that sort of scam much
>harder to pull off.

Yeah. That must be why there now are so many ordinary
people in the west reaping benefit from the ideas they
develop, rather than suffering from an extraordinarily
complex patent system that serves primarily the
corporations, the IP lawyers, and the people who know
how to work this system.