Cringely Gives KnowNow Some Unbelievable Free Press... (fwd)

Robert Harley harley@argote.ch
Tue, 26 Feb 2002 20:17:03 +0100 (CET)

> Bear Responds:
>> I really want to read this paper; if we don't get to see the
>> actual mathematics, claims like this look incredibly like
>> someone is spreading FUD. Is it available anywhere?

Rob doesn't do FUD, at least not on his home turf...
Dan is extremely clueful and his claims should be taken seriously.

>Holy shit.  The math works.  [...]
>This is probably the biggest news in crypto in the last decade.

If it pans out after a bit of peer review, it would certainly appear
to be in that realm.

>The "secure forever" level of difficulty that we used to believe
>we got from 2kbit keys in RSA is apparently a property of 6kbit [...]
>Recommendation to all crypto users: discontinue use of RSA keys
>shorter than 2048 bits, NOW.  Issue a revocation [...]

Someone ask Cringely to write an "RSA is dead" column soon, because
otherwise the masses will not notice this result for a while.
I already talked about it on the phone with one journalist but he
didn't grok the significance.  Maybe a gratuitous press release
from ArgoTech would help matters along...

>I predict that Elliptic-Curve systems are about to become more popular.

Precisely.

L8r dudes,
  Rob.

     .-.                    Robert.Harley@argote.ch                    .-.
    /   \           .-.      Software Development       .-.           /   \
            \   /         `-'       ArgoTech      `-'         \   /
             `-'                http://argote.ch/              `-'