[FoRK] Disney, CBDTPA, and why da rat in da kitchen

Luis Villa louie@ximian.com
04 Jun 2002 21:12:18 -0400

On Tue, 2002-06-04 at 20:12, Lindsey Smith wrote:
> Another gem from that article:
> "All we have to do is get together and figure out some system," Eisner says.
> "If we can get to the moon or get to Mars and get those unmanned drone ships
> to fly to the Middle East, why can't we put a little watermark on our
> content?"
>
> I've heard this one before. Was anyone at the 2nd O'Reilly P2P conference
> when Hilary Rosen spoke? She said something along the lines of "I know it's
> *hard* to make perfect DRM" and a chorus of voices shouted "IMPOSSIBLE, not
> HARD, there's a big difference".

I think the notion that doing something technical is impossible is a
dangerous one that the technical community should avoid. It was only
through sheer, utter stupidity and blind luck that we 'got' DVD; as long
as they can control the hardware (and they are trying their damndest to
control _all_ the hardware) they can eventually control things. Assuming
that perfect control is impossible makes us lazy when it comes to the
legislature, and then when perfect control does come in the form of
hardware it'll be too late, because we'll have continually, arrogantly
assumed it can be done.

Luis

P.S. For the latest and furthest reaching attempt at control, check out
http://bpdg.blogs.eff.org/archives/000113.html

They want to own every single A-to-D converter and make it respect
watermarks. If they can do that, everyone who doesn't have their own
stash of old-school A-to-D gear can kiss 'impossible' goodbye.