Origins of the phrase "Lock and Load"

Gary Lawrence Murphy garym@canada.com
20 Jun 2002 10:49:50 -0400

The Canadian forces used the Enfield, but I expect the mechanism was
the same; in our colloquial (Reserve, not WWII ;) "to load a round"
was the process of placing one shell into the firing chamber.  I've
never heard anyone "locking" a round of ammunition, but I might accept
that the reassuring 'click!' of the Enfield (8-round?)  cartridge
could be a "locking".  Thus, just from personal experience, "lock and
load" seems a more correct order.

I wonder if it's possible the first of your sources might have had it
reversed, whereas Duke was drawing on field experience?  Any other
ex-military out there who can comment on their experience of this?