It's turtles all the way down...

Rohit Khare Rohit@KnowNow.com
Thu, 27 Jun 2002 03:15:25 -0700

I mistakenly tended to attribute this one to Feynman. Does this settle =
it in favor of Russell?? -- RK

In A Brief History of Time (Bantam Books, 1988), Stephen Hawking tells =
the story of an elderly woman who confronted Bertrand Russell at the end =
of a lecture on orbital mechanics, claiming she had a theory superior to =
his. "We don't live on a ball revolving around the Sun," she said, "we =
live on a crust of earth on the back of a giant turtle." Wishing to =
humor the woman Russell asked, "And what does this turtle stand on?" "On =
the back of a second, still larger turtle," was her confident answer. =
"But what holds up the second turtle?" he persisted, now in a slightly =
exasperated tone. "It's no use, young man," the old woman replied, "it's =
turtles all the way down."=20