The Shays-Meehan Spam Finance Bill

Gordon Mohr gojomo@usa.net
Thu, 28 Feb 2002 11:10:00 -0800

Kragen writes:
> Gordon Mohr writes:
> > Voila, no spam, but everything you really want to get still
> > makes it through. (If you're really paranoid about losing
> > potentially-valid mail, keep copies of all bounced messages
> > and occasionally review via a summary interface.)

> The "really paranoid" variant is unfortunately not nearly as useful,
> because you still end up reading all the spam.

But not in as onerous a fashion as otherwise. It is the
interruption and interlacing of spam with other mail which
I find most annoying.

You can still handle "whitelisted" and "intentional override"
messages a soon as they come in, but the rest fall into a pile
you only have to look at once every few days.

That pile could be further scored and sorted by "liklihood
of being interesting" characteristics, so it'd be very easy to
scan quickly.

For example, your "mailwall" could send you a summary email,
at a specific time once every X days, with a list of all
the messages which had been bounced and not resent, with
sender/subject/first-few-lines. A single click could "rescue"
any particular message.

Russell writes:
> The problem is white list management. Assuming I'm on your
> white list, you'd like to get my email, regardless from where
> I send a message. I might be at a different email address.
> You really want to identify the *person*, rather than the
> email address. For that to work, senders have to use a common
> identity mechanism. And ideally, you'd like the same white
> list to function for your email, cell phone, Blackberry, and
> other incoming channels.

Trying to solve too much at once will solve nothing. So,
people with multiple or volatile addresses will have
to often use the "manual override" feature. Not a big
inconvenience. And if they installed a similar wall,
maybe they could get away with having fewer addresses,
too.

- Gordon