The Shays-Meehan Spam Finance Bill -- FW: Bill Jones forCalifornia Governor 1061ptzY3-959rpl14

Mike Masnick mike@techdirt.com
Thu, 28 Feb 2002 11:26:59 -0800

At 10:32 PM 2/27/02 -0800, Gordon Mohr wrote:

>A simple approach that could be used much more would be to:
>
>  - Only accept mail from a "whitelist" of approved addresses
>  - When mail comes in from any other address, bounce it
>    with a reply that explains how a thoughtful person
>    could (via a subject token or web-page action) can get
>    their next message through
>  - Once something gets through at all, add the source to
>    the whitelist, unless you specifically choose otherwise
>
>Voila, no spam, but everything you really want to get still
>makes it through. (If you're really paranoid about losing
>potentially-valid mail, keep copies of all bounced messages
>and occasionally review via a summary interface.)

This is the approach (I believe) that Spamcop.net uses.  Though, it costs
$3 a month or so.  I keep debating whether or not to sign up.  I've heard
very mixed reviews of the service...

Anyway, friends of mine who have used the "whitelist" mechanism have all
said that it so pisses off legitimate people who are trying to email you
that it's not worth it.  Many people who tried to email gave up because
they don't want to jump through hoops just to send *you* an email.  "Why
are you so important?" was the general consensus.

 -Mike