FC: Calif. governor candidate, DNC chairman turn to political spam

Bill Humphries bill@whump.com
Thu, 28 Feb 2002 14:21:39 -0800

On Thursday, February 28, 2002, at 12:56 PM, carey wrote:

> Listen. i'm not trying to be a snot about this, but honestly, trying to
> warp
> serious laws (such as the stalking law) for purposes of attacking spam,
> you
> diminish the quality and effectiveness (IMHO, IANAL) of the law's intended
> use.

Well, what the fsck am I to do? The alternative is to put up a moat that
makes it impossible or discourages legitimate communications.

I want a culture where spamming, identity theft, invasion of privacy, and
similar pathologies are considered to just as vile as rape, genocide, and
tele-evangelism.

Until we can find lawmakers who aren't the whores of the Direct Marketing
Association, we'll have to use whatever tools we can find.

It's like the problem with the notion of a hate crime, it's not the best
way to deal with racism/sexism/heterosexism, but as long as we have mouth
breathing idiots in our midst, we need some sort of crow bar to use
against the Aryan-Nations crowd.

-- whump