The Shays-Meehan Spam Finance Bill -- FW: Bill Jones forCalifornia Governor 1061ptzY3-959rpl14

Mark Day markday@cisco.com
Thu, 28 Feb 2002 21:30:53 -0500

> Anyway, friends of mine who have used the "whitelist" mechanism have all
> said that it so pisses off legitimate people who are trying to email you
> that it's not worth it.  Many people who tried to email gave up because
> they don't want to jump through hoops just to send *you* an email.  "Why
> are you so important?" was the general consensus.

As recently as 15 years ago, I had a similar reaction to telephone answering
machines.  I hated when one answered, thought I would never get one myself,
and I didn't leave messages unless I absolutely, positively had to.

But it got harder and harder to be that way.  As the technology became more
ubiquitous, it became less acceptable to complain about reaching an
answering machine. Gradually, the burden shifted so that there was something
wrong with you if you didn't leave a message. Now, when I have three
numbers-with-voicemail myself and sometimes spend a whole day playing phone
tag with other people's recordings, it's hard to remember my previous
stance.

I could easily imagine a similar shift happening with the acceptance of
anti-spam mechanisms.

--Mark