FC: Calif. governor candidate, DNC chairman turn to politicalspam

Russell Turpin deafbox@hotmail.com
Fri, 01 Mar 2002 15:34:48 +0000

Eugene Leitl:
>In a society less overflowing with milk of human kindness spam wouldn't
>exist due to deterrance of summary whacking of offenders.

It has nothing to do with the "milk of human kindness."
Rather, it is the fact that the nature of law is to
monopolize enforcement, and remove retaliation from
private hands. Were we in an anarchy, there are plenty
of network administrators who have seen large damage
from spam, who would be more than happy to put spammers
at the bottom of the bay. You and I might think that is
excessive. But in an anarchy, it wouldn't be much our
concern.

In an important sense, the monopolization of retaliation
is WHY the law gets involved in so many areas. It already
is involved in a negative sense: It tells people, no
matter what the injustice, that they may NOT exercise
justice directly. Which leaves them only the ability to
take less active measures, and to demand more from the
law.