FC: Calif. governor candidate, DNC chairman turn to politicalspam

Fri, 1 Mar 2002 17:09:06 +0100 (MET)

On Fri, 1 Mar 2002, Russell Turpin wrote:

> It has nothing to do with the "milk of human kindness."

Of course it has. People are just nice in general. This my only
explanation as to why people like Freiherr von Gravenreuth are still
alive.

> Rather, it is the fact that the nature of law is to
> monopolize enforcement, and remove retaliation from

Law enforcement can't persecute what it can't trace. The list of suspects
is 20 million, albeit narrowed down to those in physical proximity.

> private hands. Were we in an anarchy, there are plenty
> of network administrators who have seen large damage
> from spam, who would be more than happy to put spammers
> at the bottom of the bay. You and I might think that is
> excessive. But in an anarchy, it wouldn't be much our

A persistent spammer *should* wind up wearing concrete boots. That will
put sufficient backpressure on the rest of them. Thus the testosterone
solution, the boring technical solutions would involve hashcash and
spamassassin type of methods.

> concern.
>
> In an important sense, the monopolization of retaliation
> is WHY the law gets involved in so many areas. It already
> is involved in a negative sense: It tells people, no
> matter what the injustice, that they may NOT exercise
> justice directly. Which leaves them only the ability to
> take less active measures, and to demand more from the
> law.

Or ignore the law, of course. Just don't get caught.