Hello 2015

Lucas Gonze lucas@worldos.com
Sat, 2 Mar 2002 13:45:01 -0500 (Eastern Standard Time)

> I am at a similar turning point in my life and your post has heartened me. I
> am thinking along the same lines as you. In fact, one of my thoughts has
> been to drive a cab to pay bills while working on open source code. However,
> I am really turned off by the rabid anti-microsoft sentiments among some of
> the open-source programmers. That is all well and good, but it would be
> extreme ingratitude for me to join the chorus since I am currently living
> off Microsoft Works money. Many of the programmers at Microsoft are just as
> passionate about their code as any open source programmer.

Dunno.  Maybe you can make amends by tithing all Works proceeds to the
FSF.  ;)

> I recently got a massage and during the massage I shared my recent
> near-death experience with the therapist. She in turn shared that she felt
> she was inhabited by personalities from the past. I am trying to keep a much
> more open mind so I didn't even think to question her reality. Her comment
> that really struck home to me was "There are many of us who have important
> things to say but we don't know how to get our message out on the internet".

I had the exact same conversion, from a strict materialist to an agnostic
one.  I decided that whether people benefit from believing in magic
matters a lot more than whether magic exists.  No regrets at all in the
five years since making that change.

- Lucas