Hello 2015

Luis Villa louie@ximian.com
02 Mar 2002 14:05:51 -0500

On Sat, 2002-03-02 at 13:18, Michael Watson wrote:
> I am at a similar turning point in my life and your post has heartened me. I
> am thinking along the same lines as you. In fact, one of my thoughts has
> been to drive a cab to pay bills while working on open source code. However,
> I am really turned off by the rabid anti-microsoft sentiments among some of
> the open-source programmers. That is all well and good, but it would be
> extreme ingratitude for me to join the chorus since I am currently living
> off Microsoft Works money. Many of the programmers at Microsoft are just as
> passionate about their code as any open source programmer.

For what it's worth, the development community (at least in GNOME) is
much less rabidly anti-MS than the user community. In other words, don't
judge the community by what you read on /. - the two have only a very
rough mapping. Yes, most of us [developers] don't particularly like MS,
but that isn't the primary motivation that we code. The best volunteer
I've ever dealt with (as a QA guy) was also a former Microsoftie, like
yourself, and he had no problem being accepted, because he did /damn/
good work. Hell, my boss (Nat Friedman) worked a summer at MS, and still
refers positively to some of his experiences there.

The bottom line with most sane Open Source developer communities is that
your code rules all- if you submit good patches, the rest will come
quickly.

Luis