Hello 2015

Sat, 2 Mar 2002 20:57:53 +0100 (MET)

On 2 Mar 2002, Luis Villa wrote:

> For what it's worth, the development community (at least in GNOME) is
> much less rabidly anti-MS than the user community. In other words, don't
> judge the community by what you read on /. - the two have only a very
> rough mapping. Yes, most of us [developers] don't particularly like MS,
> but that isn't the primary motivation that we code. The best volunteer
> I've ever dealt with (as a QA guy) was also a former Microsoftie, like
> yourself, and he had no problem being accepted, because he did /damn/
> good work. Hell, my boss (Nat Friedman) worked a summer at MS, and still
> refers positively to some of his experiences there.

Redmond used to get lots of talent, though probably not top talent. A good
coder who's happy with a good salary and doesn't care what happens to his
code after he's done nor about the business morals of his employer can get
happy there.

I can't really begrudge anybody being in just for the money, and job
security -- a friend of mine does .Net there. He has a family to support,
after all. I don't see how a contributor who does an opensource project
after a Redmond stint can be looked down upon.

Touching Redmond standards (.Net comes to mind) is of course very like
accepting a ring from Sauron. Their record track has enough bad mana to
need two decades of angelic behaviour to compensate that, and of course we
all know what they're up to (digital rights management as a way to get
your foot into content control).

So count me in with the three monkeys. And any man embracing them
willingly is either a fool, or a knave, or both.