Hello 2015

Stephen D. Williams sdw@lig.net
Sun, 03 Mar 2002 15:47:12 -0500

Michael Watson wrote:

>I am at a similar turning point in my life and your post has heartened me. I
>am thinking along the same lines as you. In fact, one of my thoughts has
>been to drive a cab to pay bills while working on open source code. However,
>I am really turned off by the rabid anti-microsoft sentiments among some of
>the open-source programmers. That is all well and good, but it would be
>extreme ingratitude for me to join the chorus since I am currently living
>off Microsoft Works money. Many of the programmers at Microsoft are just as
>passionate about their code as any open source programmer.

I'm pretty anti-microsoft, but I'm not anti-Microsoft-Programmer at all.
 The problem is strictly with the top management and their actions,
guidance, and externally-focused part of the culture.  A company with
such a monopoly position and ridiculous amount of capital tied up in a
money-making rather than truly constructive enterprise desperately needs
to learn to be magnanimous and truly helpful of the long-term of both
society and the software industry.

I think I still have 4 shrink-wrapped copies of Works from years ago
that I never unloaded on anyone.

>I recently got a massage and during the massage I shared my recent
>near-death experience with the therapist. She in turn shared that she felt
>she was inhabited by personalities from the past. I am trying to keep a much
>more open mind so I didn't even think to question her reality. Her comment
>that really struck home to me was "There are many of us who have important
>things to say but we don't know how to get our message out on the internet".

It seems like the important problem to solve is how to get the right
people talking and listening with the right communications model without
overloading everyone with the wrong data.  Recently, I've been thinking
of how the Wiki meme-set can be improved and extended.

sdw